Friday, November 06, 2015

How corporate honchos take a call (Milestone resolutions)

Source: The Economic Times.
NR Narayana Murthy Chief Mentor, Infosys
Quite early on in my career, I took the resolution to embrace fairness with everybody in every transaction. This meant I had to be open-minded yet rely on data, in judging every transaction, purely on its merit. And today, I can say that this principle has helped us, the founders of Infosys, to work harmoniously through thick and thin for over 25 years. In my opinion, this has been the most powerful and effective resolution in my life. Incidentally, the seeds of this principle were sown in me by Prof. J G Krishnayya, one of my professors at IIM, Ahmedabad. It amazed me that on a particular day, this man would be aggressive in winning his point of view on an issue, while on the very next day, he would be open to others’ ideas on another issue, with respect and without any sense of superiority.
Deepak S Parekh Chairman, HDFC Ltd
It was a decision that was neither impulsive nor irrational; it was a voice that guided me through my journey home. This was the time when I had been away from India for 11 years, while pursuing a CA degree and subsequently being employed with Chase Manhattan Bank, that took me to New York, Hong Kong and Singapore. And then, I chose to wind my way home and a year after I returned, I joined HDFC, an organisation that was yet to cut its teeth and toddle through infancy. I am sure that this was serendipity; the time was right and destiny made its plan for me.
Sulajja Firodia Motwani MD, Kinetic Motor Co Ltd
I remember I was about 18 then. One day, I was cribbing about something. I don’t remember what it was though. But I do remember what my grandfather, the late H K Firodia told me. He said that I just needed to look around me to realise how fortunate I was. ‘Be positive in life and you will be the happiest person,’ he advised. The year was coming to an end, and I took a new year vow to always approach everything with a positive attitude. It was not that I was negative earlier. But at that very impressionable age, I learnt the importance of being positive. Ever since, I have always tried to be optimistic in tough situations and I have seen how that has kept other people in a buoyant mood as well.
Gulu Mirchandani CMD, Mirc Electronics Ltd
The most important resolution of my life happened towards the end of 1991. That was when I vowed to make Indians proud of the ‘Made in India’ label. There’s an interesting story behind this. At that time, the country was facing a financial crisis and speculations were rife about what course of action would be taken. I was on a flight when I spotted Dr Manmohan Singh (the then finance minister). He called me over for a chat and mentioned that an announcement would be made the following day about permission being given to Sony Corporation to enter India. He said the government didn’t have a choice due to the steep foreign exchange deficit. At that point, Onida was approximately a Rs 150 crore company, while Sony was a global multi-national giant with billions of dollars in revenue and a very strong brand recall. Initially, I didn’t know how to react. Many of my industrialist friends thought the best option would be to sell out completely or risk getting wiped out by these giants. However, after much introspection, I decided to fight back. What also encouraged me was my father’s belief that ‘where there’s a will, there’s always a way’. Today, 15 years later, we continue to battle and beat the MNCs in the Indian market.
Habil Khorakiwala Chairman, Wockhardt Group
The first resolution was the one I took in 1993 for Wockhardt. This was immediately after we went public in December 1992. The resolution was to transform Wockhardt from a domestic company to a global organisation, and to invest significantly in research. Today, 65 per cent of our business comes from outside India, and we have invested roughly 9 per cent of our sales in research. The other memorable resolution was of a personal nature. On January 3, 1994, on our 25th marriage anniversary, my wife Nafisa and I decided to celebrate our anniversary in a unique way, by going on Haj. Till then, although I believed in religion, I wasn’t ritualistic. However, I must admit that this journey, which gave me a true glimpse of what Islam is, will remain one of the most memorable experiences of my life.

No comments: